There are some tips for those who need to erase junk files and apps from their Mac. Here are some tips that can help you.
- Download the application CleanMyMac.
- Open iPhoto and delete photos you no longer need. iPhoto has its own application trash so remember to empty that.
- Open iTunes and delete all of the music and podcasts you no longer like or need.
- Spend some time and go through your Documents, Movies, and Pictures folder, deleting any junk you no longer have any use for.
- Clear out old email messages in Mail or other email program.
- Go to ~/Library/Caches/, and delete anything you see from applications you no longer have installed. Repeat the process in ~/Library/Preferences/.
- Go to ~/Library/Safari/, and delete the “Icons” folder. This stores all of the favicons on websites, which appear next to the URL. This can also speed up web browsing speed in Safari.
- If you don’t need it, remove the Xcode installer, located in /Applications/Installers/.
- Go to ~/Music/GarageBand/ and delete any GarageBand demo songs.
- Remove unecessary iChat icons from ~/Pictures/iChat Icons/.
(Most of the above tips can be done by CleanMyMac.)
Once you have done everything on the list, you should have a nice, clean hard-drive, with plenty of free space. If you are still lacking on the free space, you could purchase an external hard-drive. Before you do, run some applications listed below as a final clean up spree to free up more space.
(Note that the ~/Library is a Hidden Folder – to unhide it there is a Tip here…)